Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Complicated History


So I think I little bit more background is necessary about now.  I did club gymnastics at International Gymnastics in Matthews, North Carolina for 10 years (3rd to 12th grade) and I am so thankful for them how they made me the gymnast I am today.

I have never been the star on the team—scoring the 9.7s, winning the meets, etc.—that was never me.  But what I can say, is that I have always loved gymnastics! And for the most part, it never even bothered me that I wasn’t the best.  I just wanted to be good enough to be doing gymnastics somewhere in college.

People always asked me why I chose Davis; why so far away?  To be honest, no other team wanted me.  Don’t get me wrong, I love California.  I knew I wanted to come out West, and I genuinely loved Davis, but they were seriously the only team to offer me a spot.  It was either Davis or no gymnastics.  I choose Davis.

Anyways, back to my days at International.  I said I always loved gymnastics, which was/is still true.  But it definitely wasn’t always easy.  For years I struggled with hip pains, and long story short, I had two hip arthroscopic surgeries my sophomore year of high school.  And they did not go as smoothly as the doctor (or I) had hoped.  Nevertheless after sufficient time, I came back from both of them and I surprised many by continuing my gymnastics career.  In fact, people said it behind my back, “Aw poor girl, she’ll never do gymnastics again…”  Well all I had to do was hear that, and then I knew I’d prove her wrong.

My sophomore year season was just a chance for me to get back into the “swing” of things.  But by the time I made it to my junior year season, I was back and fully healthy.  For the first time in a long time.  Then in typical Erin-Sayson fashion, I go to our end of the season regional meet, and on vault, I under rotated and hyperextend my knees.  Season finished.

Fast forwarding many months and doctors appointments, I find out that my ACL was stretched and partially torn.  I was going to have reconstruction surgery the summer before my senior year.

Three surgeries later, here I am.  But through it all, I still can’t say that I’ve never stopped loving the sport.  And I will never give up.  Call me crazy, but the feeling that I have when I’m healthy… when I’m doing the sport… makes me so happy that it doesn’t matter how many times I’ve hurt myself or fallen down.  The few good days makes all my struggles worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment