Monday, January 23, 2012

First of Many

I really wish I would’ve taken full blogging advantage of the free time that I had these last couple days, but alas, here I am, 3 days post-surgery, and I’m just now updating.

Thursday night, I went to pick up my mom from the airport, and we ate at Burgers and Brew with (the famous) Callie Wissman.  Fun fact: all three of us ordered bacon cheeseburgers.  I’m proud.  My food cut off  before the surgery was midnight, so I did my very best to consume as much food as possible before then!  It was delicious.  Oops, Kailyn did catch me finish the other half of my burger at 12:02 a.m. on Friday.  Shhh don’t tell.

Friday was my first surgery outside of North Carolina, my first surgery NOT at Presbyterian Orthopedic Hospital, and my first surgery without my dad right next to me.  As an anesthesiologist, during my earlier surgeries, he would be the one to set up my IV and he was always right by my side.  I know it was hard for him to not be there with me, but he did everything he could, and I appreciate him checking up on me!  And talking to all my doctors and such… my mom and I only understand so much “doctor lingo.”

Nurses were asking me if I was nervous going into the surgery, but to be honest, I really wasn’t.  I was anxious about knowing what they were going to find—were the tunnels going to work?  But the actual surgery… eh, been there, done that.

Three to four hours later, I wake up in recovery, and the very first thing I remember was mumbling to my mom, “Do I have an ACL?”  I sure did.  My next, most immediate goal: wake up (and stay awake), and get rid of the horrible nauseated feeling.

I’ll spare the gory details and fast forward.  I spent Friday and Saturday night in Marin, then drove back to Davis with my mom for the meet on Sunday.  Another side note: Davis destroyed Air Force for their first home meet of the season!  So proud J.  I made it through the meet, sitting and elevating the best I could, then went home, took my anti-inflammatories, and iced!

After today, officially one day of rehab down.  Many more to go...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed you made it through the meet! Good luck recovering, if you need a pizza, you know who to call :)